Collingwood Magpies to exit Super Netball after 2023 season, a week later Club shocking announcement it is reviewing its netball program.
A statement released on Thursday confirmed the withdrawal, with the club acknowledging it “could have run a better pitching scheme” and that it was no longer sustainable.
Magpies chief executive Craig Kelly said the club analyzed key aspects of its pitching plan and determined it was no longer viable.
“Collingwood is a much better place to have a netball team and the decision not to renew our netball license was a very difficult one and it weighed heavily on us,” Kelly said .
“Throughout the process, we met with Netball Australia and SSN several times to explore potential solutions. The challenges Netball Australia has experienced and will continue to experience in terms of profitability, combined with the current impasse in finalizing the TPA and CPA, played a key role in our decision-making.”
Speaking to players and staff last week, Kelly said the club has formally conducted a review of its pitching department and is expected to make a decision on the program’s future in the coming weeks.
Collingwood, who entered the Super Netball in 2017, are bottom of the table and reportedly have the lowest audience numbers in the competition.
The announcement comes as Netball Australia prepares to announce a profit of $300,000 at its annual shareholder meeting on Thursday after two years of multi-million dollar losses.