Player injured, Melbourne City and Melbourne Victory match abandoned after violent pitch invasion

A spokesperson said the FA will use the full force of its regulatory and disciplinary powers and is cooperating with Victoria Police in their investigation into the incident.

Many people have come forward to help identify the fans involved, the spokesperson said.

“Enough is enough,” the spokesman said.

The Australian Professional League, which manages the A-League, declined to allow clubs to speak to the media after the game, but released a brief statement confirming Glover and King were injured, adding that it was coordinating with the FA “on the aftermath of these incidents”.

APL said it would issue a further statement regarding the video of the incident that is being circulated around the world.

Melbourne Victory's Paul Izzo removes the flare from the pitch after a Melbourne City goal.

Melbourne Victory’s Paul Izzo removes the flare from the pitch after a Melbourne City goal.Credit:Getty Images

Victoria Police are investigating the incident.

“Victoria Police are disappointed by the behavior of some supporters during the A-League men’s match between Melbourne City and Melbourne Victory on Saturday night,” police said.

“The match was called off after around 150-200 Melbourne Victory supporters entered the field. A Melbourne City player and official were injured during the incursion and a photographer was injured by a flare.

“The supporters left the field after a short time and the crowd left the stadium. No other incidents were reported to police and no arrests have been made so far.”

Football star Matthew Leckie, who plays for Manchester City, was thrown from a bottle as he left the ground after thanking fans later in the evening. He was not hurt.

Victory and Manchester City fans both planned to leave at 20 minutes into the game to protest the league final deal, but the Victory fans turned their anger on Glover, who appeared to hurl himself at the fans after throwing A flare was thrown in his direction.

A group of fans were seen running through security and onto the field, some of whom began to protest, but others went straight to Glover, shoved and tried to hit him, before one fan appeared to throw a metal bucket, bruising the his head.

The victorious team would face record penalties, which could include point deductions, games played behind closed doors and other crowd-related restrictions.

Security and players from both sides managed to get between Glover and the fans before taking him off the ground and into the tunnel.

A large crowd of fans then flooded the pitch, swinging on the goalposts and throwing objects around the pitch, before police and security forced them back into the crowd.

Victory’s main active groups, Original Style Melbourne and City’s City Terrace, both took aim at the A-League’s administrative body, the Australian Professional Leagues, and chants of “Fk the APL” erupted throughout the night.

City Terrace also took aim at APL chief executive Danny Townsend chanting “Danny Townsend, you ruined the league” before unfurling a banner across the group that read “Football without fans is nothing!!”

At the end of Victory, their fans held up a small banner that read “Look at your elf,” along with a picture of a cartoon pig with a shirt emblazoned with APL.

Fans storm the pitch during the eighth round of the A-League Men's League Melbourne derby.

Fans storm the pitch during the eighth round of the A-League Men’s League Melbourne derby. Credit:Darian Trainor, Getty Images

Man City’s World Cup heroes should have been given the welcome they deserve Matthew LeckieInstead, Jamie MacLaren and Marco Tilio became the scene of fan revolt.

Victoria Police respond to unruly fans.

Victoria Police respond to unruly fans. Credit:Darian Trainor, Getty Images

Since its launch in 2005, the A-League has allowed the highest-ranked teams to stage their finals, resulting in memorable men’s tiebreakers in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth and Newcastle.

One exception was the Gosford-based Central Coast Mariners, who had to play their grand final at the Sydney Football Stadium in 2008 because their home ground was deemed too small for the tiebreaker.

Victory fans especially have rich memories of the home finals, dating back to the game’s second season, when Archie Thompson’s five goals highlighted a 6-0 win over Adelaide in front of 55,436 fans at Marvel Stadium in 2007. Ryder United.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *